Applied Human Anatomy Faculty – Sint Maarten in American University of the Caribbean Chicago, IL
Website American University of the Caribbean
This job listing is about American University of the Caribbean in Chicago, IL 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
Opportunity at a Glance
The American University of the Caribbean (AUC) School of Medicine invites applications for a full-time faculty member in the Department of Basic Medical Sciences for teaching Applied Human Anatomy and Embryology on its Medical Sciences Campus, located on Sint Maarten.
We are seeking those that are not only effective teachers, but also individuals who are passionate about improving medical education, collaborate well with others and believe in the mission of AUC – to train tomorrow’s physicians whose service to their communities and patients is enhanced by international learning experiences, a diverse learning community, and an emphasis on social accountability and engagement.
Founded in 1978, AUC has more than 6,500 graduates and is one of the oldest medical schools in the Caribbean. Dedicated to developing physicians with a lifelong commitment to patient-centered care, AUC embraces collaboration, inclusion and community service.
Learn more about American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine
AUC Virtual Campus Tour | AUC School of Medicine (aucmed.edu)
AUC Faculty members in St. Maarten are organized into two departments: Clinical Medical Sciences (CMS) and Basic Medical Sciences (BMS). BMS faculty report to the Chair, Basic Medical Sciences.
The Medical Sciences Campus’ academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. The Medical Sciences curriculum is transitioning to an organ-system model, with teams of faculty teaching integrated modules. Small group activities, lectures, and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year. Research opportunities exist, primarily in medical education. The Sint Maarten campus is well-equipped and technologically advanced, including a fully equipped anatomy lab with both cadaveric and Sectra table dissection, an expansive simulation center, 5 large auditorium-sized classrooms, an applied research laboratory, and other learning tools geared toward integrating medical school classroom study with practical applications of medicine. AUC has a formal partnership with the Sint Maarten Ministry of Health and works collaboratively with many community partners on projects that benefit island Sint Maarten and offer community engagement opportunities for students.
The successful candidate will provide strong, innovative teaching in applied human anatomy and embryology with the ability to integrate it with other clinical disciplines in our new system based curriculum. The successful candidate will also have excellent communication skills and a strong commitment to working closely with medical students to help them acquire the required medical knowledge and to develop clinical competency.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities Include
Works with the Module Course Co-Directors of various semester to
- Develop the syllabus/course integrated content in human anatomy and embryology.
- Ensure that the course presents current concepts relevant to clinical scenarios.
- Develop appropriate integrated clinically relevant questions for examinations
- Develop new integrative exercises across all disciplines
- Run human anatomy lab using the hands-on human cadavers as well as the animated software for human anatomy
- Assist in maintaining accurate and current student records
- Complete other duties related to the curriculum as assigned.
- Attends a minimum of one conference each year for the purpose of curriculum enhancement and/or presentation of research.
- Maintains office -hours and is readily available to students for assistance.
- Maintains robust advisor/advisee interactions and advising.
- Serves on academic committees.
- Contributes to community outreach and/or student-centered research projects.
- PhD, MBBS, MD, MS or equivalent with specialization in human anatomy
- 3-4 years-experience teaching in a medical school environment.
- Familiarity with USMLE type of testing
- Documented record of teaching effectiveness
- Ability to relate concepts to clinical scenarios
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English, with strong interest in working with medical students required
- Flexibility and ability to work well on a team
- Knowledge of principles, methods, techniques, materials and equipment used in postsecondary teaching/medical education preferred
- Educational technology skills, including use of e-learning management systems, audience response systems, online examinations, videoconferencing, desirable
Faculty rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Who We Are
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) is an international medical school preparing physicians for careers in the United States, Canada, and worldwide. We believe that today’s complex healthcare landscape requires a different type of doctor, one who is globally minded and capable of working as part of a cohesive team to deliver empathetic, extraordinary care to diverse patient populations. AUC employs a U.S. model curriculum with two years of medical sciences taught at our St. Maarten campus, followed by two years of clinical sciences taught at affiliated hospitals in the United States and the United Kingdom. AUC is proud to have more than 7,500 alumni eligible for licensure in all 50 states and practicing medicine as chief residents, department chairs, program directors, researchers, entrepreneurs, and community advocates.
AUC’s mission is to train tomorrow’s physicians whose service to their communities and patients is enhanced by international learning experiences, a diverse learning community, and an emphasis on social accountability and engagement. Learn more about AUC, part of Adtalem Global Education, at www.aucmed.edu.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We pride ourselves in nurturing a culture that encourages everyone to bring their full selves to work each day. To us, diversity and inclusion needs to be intentional to be impactful. We don’t just welcome differences, we celebrate them. #WeAreAdtalem
To learn more about our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, click here to visit our Diversity page.
Company: American University of the Caribbean
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Application Deadline: N/A