This listing is about Atkins in Manchester, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Bridges and Civils – North West – Senior or Principal Engineer (P3)
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients’ problems head-on. It’s a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we’re here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what’s ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you’re returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Read More About How You Can Thrive With Us.
We are currently seeking two Senior or Principal Engineers to join our Bridges and Civils team within our Transportation Practice, based in Warrington or Manchester. The successful candidate will support our team working on a number of exciting, high-profile projects and frameworks. This includes A57 Link Road, Wigan to Bolton Electrification, North-West Platform Extensions, M58 Link Road, Lancashire CC framework and Network Rail Works Delivery framework. The team also supports wider projects throughout the UK, as well as a range of local market projects, including East West Rail Phase 2, Highways England East Region DSC, Network Rail CAFA framework and the Central Rail Systems Alliance.
Using your technical and delivery skills, you will be responsible for delivering a variety of civil and structural design packages and projects for new build highways and rail schemes, renewals schemes, assessment works and asset management schemes. Your duties will include supporting the management of both individual design packages and entire projects, supporting project resourcing and financial control to ensure our schemes are delivered profitably, to programme, and in accordance with Atkins’ quality assurance systems.
You will have a background in civil engineering design, and an interest in the delivery of multi-disciplinary projects within highway or rail environments. You will ideally be familiar with working on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and membership of the ICE or IStructE
Expected Criteria Are
The role will be varied, requiring a balance of relevant industry experience, technical ability, communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Proven knowledge in design, maintenance and supervision of structures related projects together with a track record of innovation in design and management of highway structures.
- Practical knowledge and experience of bridge design, maintenance and assessment.
- Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable option
- Good awareness of BIM
- Ability to undertake technical work independently
- Ability to guide more junior members of staff and lead teams undertaking the design, assessment and maintenance of structures related projects
- Ability to lead teams providing structures related input on multi-disciplinary projects
- Ability to direct and oversee the production of, and review, high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, 3D BIM deliverables, analysis models, calculations, reports and specifications
- Proven experience of grillage, space frame and finite element analysis software packages such as LUSAS, MIDAS, Superstress and Autodesk Structural Bridge Design
- Ability to undertake technical reviews
- Proven experience of working with key clients such Experience of working with key clients such as Local Authorities, Transport Scotland, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors
- Good understanding of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, MCHW and those of Transport Scotland, Highways England and Network Rail).
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Ability to support bids and tenders.
- Experience of work winning and developing Client relationships
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines
- Excellent spoken and written English.
We recognise that your experience might not fit these criteria exactly but if you have a desire to develop, we’re still keen to hear from you.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We’re creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You’ll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you’ll be in a privileged position, delivering what’s right for governments and communities. You’ll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees “Total Reward”. It’s a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You’ll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you’re supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let’s talk through any adjustments you might need.
Read more about ‘Total Reward’.
More About Us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you’ll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.”
Job Location: Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org