This listing is about Atkins in Warrington, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Please click here to view our Ground Engineering & Tunnelling (UK) Landing Page’.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Senior/Principal Geotechnical Engineer based in our Glasgow, Edinburgh, Warrington or Leeds offices to support our rapidly expanding workload and our exciting portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects both in the UK and internationally.
We need to increase our team to meet the growing demands from our clients, especially in the infrastructure sector (particularly rail, highways & water) and the energy sector, which includes carbon capture & storage, renewable energy (wind, current and hydropower), low carbon engineering, offshore and onshore oil & gas and nuclear power.
This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role in the ground engineering input to some of our most challenging projects. We are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in these exciting and rapidly evolving sectors.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies, with over 20,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 280 UK based geotechnical professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence, and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
- The successful applicant will be a senior/principal geotechnical engineer with a proven technical and project management track record. The role will include the mentoring of junior geotechnical engineers and therefore good communication skills are essential.
- The candidate will have a degree in civil engineering or geology with a post graduate qualification in a geotechnical subject and hold chartered status as either a civil engineer or geologist.
- Candidates should have the right flare and ability that will help us develop and expand our infrastructure geotechnics capability by building on the existing portfolio of our rapidly expanding, flexible and outward looking team that can tackle work across a broad spectrum of sectors.
Candidates Should Have
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following sectors: highways, rail or water geotechnics.
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- Chartered status.
- Proven experience of acting as a senior/principal geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment.
- Project management – Experience and understanding of the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets, including relationships with clients, work planning and commercial management.
- Proven geotechnical design experience.
- Application of CDM Regulations in a design and ground investigation environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients.
- Good commercial track record in negotiating and running successful jobs.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas.
- A valid UK driving licence.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important.
So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Our IT systems support homeworking, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Rewards And Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social clubs providing a wide range of activities. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, childcare vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
Training and Development
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company.
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
Atkins, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Job Location: Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com