This listing is about Atkins in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
About the job
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including Aviation, Energy, Cities and Development, Education, Transportation and Defence.
Atkins’ Building Design Practice are looking for an experienced, motivated Electrical Engineer seeking to develop their career in a positive environment and join our team where talent is encouraged and growth opportunities unrivalled. This role will be based in the Glasgow/Warrington or Newcastle Office but presents the opportunity to join a national delivery team and work with designers across the UK.
This opportunity will involve working as part of a JV team on the Nuclear Technical Support Provider (NTSP) framework. This 7-year framework, with the option of a further 3 years, will deliver specialist nuclear technical services valued between £250 million to £400 million to support DIO, Navy Command and other MOD organisations.
The framework will support the Clyde Infrastructure Programme (CIP) and wider Royal Navy and defence requirements. Its primary focus will be on delivering the refurbishment and upgrade of critical infrastructure at HMNB Clyde.
The opportunity will require candidates to be client-facing as well as being involved in the day-to-day design of projects. It is an exciting opportunity for a design engineer to further develop their career within a leading building design consultancy.
Our focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities. This role will allow development of existing technical skills as well as providing potential to expand digital skills and project management.
Energy and Carbon are an essential aspect of this position and with the rise in importance of decarbonising the built environment, improving air quality and implementing energy efficient design solutions, our team is expanding to deliver sustainable solutions for our growing portfolio of satisfied clients.
Our Practice is committed to developing our ways of working using emerging Digital Technology and the global reach offered by an organisation of our size and capability. Our ideal individual will bring strong technical skills to the role, as well as an enquiring mind able to contribute to the growth of our digital practice, and the potential to lead and manage large and diverse delivery teams, locally and remotely.
- Ensuring an understanding of project briefs.
- Design and specification of all Electrical Building Services systems – power, earthing, lighting, life safety, telecoms, security, access control, lifts, lightning protection etc.
- Carry out the production of detailed calculations using industry standard software tools including Excel, Amtech, Dialux/Relux, in-house developed tools, etc.
- Preparing technical specifications using NBS.
- Collaborate with our BIM team to prepare models and drawings, with a working understanding of Autodesk Revit – note experience of Microstation (& AECOsim) is beneficial.
- Representing Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works.
- Report and technical note writing.
- Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards.
- Adherence to all quality, environmental & governance processes.
- Managing own workload, updating forward plan of workload regularly and working to time allocations.
- Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings.
- Reviewing progress, including reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the project lead.
- Assist with technical development of junior staff.
- Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related subjects.
- Chartered Engineer (or working towards CEng) with CIBSE or IET.
- Good level of computer literacy in a range of digital tools including Amtech/Prodesign, Dialux/Relux, NBS and Microsoft packages. Any HV tools will also be beneficial.
- Aware of energy reduction methods and approaches to decarbonising new and existing buildings.
- Some knowledge of energy and carbon related data capture and analytics.
- Awareness of the principles of building physics such as passive design solutions and fabric first approaches.
- Some awareness of designing for measurement and verification, including experience of commissioning and post installation evaluation of performance.
- Experience of working in a design consultancy and/or some experience of working within a contractor design environment is beneficial.
- Good knowledge of appropriate technical standards.
- Able to take charge of personal project deliverables, make decisions on developing the discipline design elements, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with clients will be useful.
- Comfortable working within time and cost budgets as agreed at project briefing meetings.
Undertake any other reasonable tasks or duties as required by the management team from time to time, in order to maintain flexibility in the organisation.
What we offer?
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Rewards And Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Job Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com