Legal & Compliance Associate in Britam Kigali, Kigali City, Rwanda
This job listing is about Britam in Kigali, Kigali City, Rwanda 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
This role holder will be responsible for the provision of legal advisory services, organizational compliance with the Industry Regulator Guidelines, and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks for Britam Rwanda. The role holder will have dual reporting to the CEO Britam Rwanda and Group Legal and Compliance roles.
- Managing all Claims related legal matters in liaison with the Claims Department and engaging with Regulators and the external lawyers and liaising with Claims Department to manage third party recoveries.
- Reviewing progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers in line with the SLAs.
- Regularly review the company’s legal panel and advice management of any changes required in line with the SLAs.
- Monitor court attendance by the company’s appointed advocates on the company’s legal matters.
- Prepare half yearly Legal reserves reports for all legal claims matters.
- Manage the entire litigation process with diligence, professionally and ensure timely closure of matters.
- Liaising with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Advise the business on all matters requiring legal interpretation to enable effective management of legal risks.
- Review newly instituted matters/ regulations and advise management.
- Research and interpret regulatory requirements of new Insurance products and/or services.
- Providing Legal Advisory and necessary assistance in respect to Product Development and Review in liaison with the Legal Department.
- Responsible for the timely identification, assessment, mitigation and reporting, and escalation of all identified operational and compliance risk exposures.
- Keep up to date with, and understand, relevant laws and regulations governing the business entity.
- Monitor compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies and procedures.
- Advise management and the board on the company’s compliance with laws and regulations and other compliance risks through detailed reports.
- Participate in the development and review of organizational policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other departments to create a culture of compliance.
- Ensure AML and KYC policies are in place are adhered to.
- Ensure timely, efficient reporting of suspicious transactions.
- Monitor and provide advice to management to minimize risk resulting from poor internal controls.
- Ensure there are appropriate structures, processes and documentation in place in relation to Britam Group’s Governance practices.
- Ensure compliance with Group corporate governance requirements and co-ordinate the annual legal, compliance and governance audits.
- Keep abreast with the relevant changes in governance best practice.
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balanced scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
Key Performance Measures
- As described in your Personal Score Card
Internal Working Relationships
- Accountable to the Group Legal Manager and Group Head of Compliance.
- Required to liaise and work closely with the Regional Unit CEOs and Heads of Department as may be necessary.
External Working Relationships
- Required to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with third-party service providers to ensure quality and cost-effective services are provided to Britam.
Knowledge, Experience And Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Law and a Diploma in Law.
- Master’s degree in Law (added advantage).
- Possess a valid practicing license.
- At least four 3- 5 years’ experience in Law in a busy law firm or in the Insurance/Financial services industry.
- Compliance Risk management experience in the insurance or Banking sector is an added advantage.
- Good understanding of risk management principles and practices and Country Regulations.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information, and key points of an argument clearly; presents effectively; response quickly to others ‘reactions and feedback during conversations; projects credibility.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports, and cares for others; consults others and pro-actively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behavior and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organizational values during everyday interactions.
- Analysing – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system/process / problem.
- Planning and Organising – Adheres to and monitors clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations – Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets and models high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
International Insurance Business
Number of Openings
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kigali, Kigali City, Rwanda
Application Deadline: N/A