Safety & Security Coordinator – Yemen in FHI محافظة حضرموت حيد صالح اليمن
This job listing is about FHI in محافظة حضرموت حيد صالح اليمن 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
FHI 360’s West Africa Middle East Regional Office (WAMERO) is seeking a qualified and dedicated
Safety & Security Coordinator for the Yemen Country Office, based on Aden, Yemen.
After years of continuous conflict, the humanitarian crisis in Yemen is still considered the worst in the world. Widespread conflict exacerbates existing vulnerabilities as severe economic decline, food insecurity, and collapse of essential services continues to take an enormous toll on the population. Faced with a deterioration of the health system and ongoing hostilities, communities have been left without essential life-saving services. The combination of extreme vulnerability and low general immunity puts Yemen at exceptional risk for communicable disease outbreak; as such, the spread of COVID-19 in 2020 has put further strain on an already very fragile system.
Operational in Yemen since 2018, FHI 360 is implementing an integrated humanitarian assistance program in health, nutrition, WASH and Health Coordination sectors. FHI 360’s approach to humanitarian response in Yemen is based on global principles of good intervention practice combined with lessons learnt from ongoing implementation. FHI 360 has a dual focus on institutional and community-level engagement, and a phased plan for scale up to new locations. Through both the improvement in access to quality health services, along with improved coordination of the overall health response in Aden Hub, FHI 360’s programmatic activities are designed to contribute to improved well-being of the population in Yemen.
A core member of the Yemen Country Office Senior Management Team, the SC is responsible for the overall management and implementation of the organization’s safety and security policies at the country level, including developing and adapting country security management plans. Plays a meaningful role in ensuring the organization’s emergency programming is adaptable and responsive to the needs of disaster-affected populations. Ensure humanitarian activities are context- and conflict- aware. Responsible for providing security coordination for members of the organization’s Senior Management Team Emergency Management Team (EMT) in response to incidents, emergencies, and crises on behalf of the organization. May serve as the primary advisor to the Country Representative or Project Director regarding security matters. Conduct training on site for employees and facilitate development and implementation of country security management plans.
Duty of Care Statement: This duty station has been designated as high risk or extreme risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application
- Conduct threat and risk assessments of the environment and provide recommendations for context specific security management requirements to management.
- Produce, roll out and maintain updated security management planning policies for field staff, ensuring compliance to the organization’s global safety and security standards.
- Establish and ensure that all security management components including incident reporting and trend analysis inform program design, implementation, staff movement, and contingency responses.
- Maintain and improve the communications infrastructure for the site and/or project.
- Work both internally and externally to ensure the organization’s mission and work in the region is known and accepted.
- Identify, establish and lead context appropriate approaches to assure facilities are secure.
- Compile and submit security reports that track incidents and trends within the country. Submit daily security updates as needed.
- Ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with a written report.
- Assist the field offices in developing and leading all aspects of the day to day conduct of office security program, ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and human-made.
- Provide technical security advice in consultation with the Response Coordinator on the existing and any new potential offices including site selection and establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures.
- Conduct security risk assessments for program expansion areas.
- Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically.
- Conduct Hotel assessments for a safety and security approval process.
- Establish a network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible.
- Attend security meetings such as UNDSS, INGO forum etc.
- Conduct onsite training for staff in the field of safety including personal safety, emergency evacuations, travel safety, relocation and evacuation.
- Work with program staff in seeking security clearance for asset movements to operational areas.
- Supervise and regularly appraise security contractors and Guard Companies as per agreement ensuring that all company policies and practices related to these are adhered to.
- Provide advance security advice, security briefing to staff and visitors, ensure plans for tracking arrival, departure and accommodation
- Draft security advisories with advice on mitigation for circulation by the Security Assistant or designee and general situation, specific incidents and periods of heightened threat.
- Conduct periodic briefing to Coordinators/Managers and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect the organization’s operations and make recommendations to minimize risks.
- Serve as leader of the security unit, coordinate emergency/staff incidents involving staff and assets, advise the Security Assistant and guards, recommending response actions.
- Maintain and periodically test the security tree for the offices in region covered
- Maintain a travel management system to track the location and contact information for all vehicles, visiting staff and consultants.
- Be part of the incident management team and head the Country Security team in crisis situation.
- Plan for both security and medical evacuation for all locations and develop evacuation plan including roles, relocated staff, collection points, routes etc.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Understanding of principles and code of conduct associated with a specific sector and/or sub-sector of work such as, development, humanitarian, etc. linked to NGO contexts.
- Advanced level of knowledge of communications technology.
- Ability to gain a detailed understanding of the various local, regional, country and international policies, operational positions and interactions, providing clear multifaceted briefings and analysis of given and unfolding security and political situations when they occur.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work under stressful conditions.
- Understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak proficient English. Arabic helpful.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Responds quickly and effectively to crisis situations occurring in the international arena.
- Stays abreast of social, cultural, legal and criminal issues, nationally and internationally, and their impact on the organization and its business.
- Leads unit goals and activities in conjunction with sound security and management concepts.
- Interacts with USAID, BHA, local government agencies, State Department, UN Security and other foreign agencies to implement security strategies and procedures relating to company matters.
- Identifies and defines objectives, strategies and priorities relating to security matters for the organization.
- Initiates and facilitates changes to improve security services through effective communication, collaboration and interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Provides direction and mentorship in maintaining security services and protection.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget and proposal budgets for all security related components.
- May provide technical supervision to field-based security officers.
- Represents the Security Department at all requested or required functions.
- Reports to Response Coordinator or Acting Response Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Criminal Justice, Homeland Security, Security Administration or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- ASIS Certified Protection Professional (CPP) designation preferred.
- Typically requires 8+ years of security experience in corporate or government organizations or military asset protection programs.
- Meaningful and documented prior experience as a trainer and training skills – the ability to develop, implement, facilitate and impart learning to a wide range of audiences.
- High level of experience, ready to learn developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal direction
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
- Experience in developing security strategies for humanitarian operations, previous security experience preferred
- Experience operating in insecure environments.
- Experience working in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Up to weekly trips to fieldemote areas.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- Satellite telephone, VHF radio, incident data analysis platforms and mapping programs.
- Greater than 25% throughout Yemen.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: محافظة حضرموت حيد صالح اليمن
Application Deadline: N/A