Central African Republic: Chief of Party in Internews Bangui, Bangui, Central African Republic
This job listing is about Internews in Bangui, Bangui, Central African Republic 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is a non-profit, non-partisan organization with 40 years of experience in media development across the world. Internews supports independent journalism in 100+ countries, helping local media outlets reach millions of people with quality information. We train individuals to report on topics such as health and the environment and help media organizations become financially sustainable. We do all of this in partnership with local communities — the people best placed to know what works.
Internews seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated program in the Central African Republic (CAR).
The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program in CAR; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity-building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other media stakeholders to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will be responsible for staff safety and security. They will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives and government of CAR.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
This role will be based in Bangui, Central African Republic.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a limited-duration position, with an expected term of five years.
Note: Hiring is contingent upon receipt of funding.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ programs in-country.
- Provide general oversight of the programs, including program management, personnel management, strategic vision, safety and security of personnel and partners, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, coordination with partners, and recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Supervise the implementation of sub-grants and act as the primary contact person for Internews to international and local sub-grantees.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the country to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities.
- Track and report project progress and activities against work plans on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Carry out human resource management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training staff and consultants; planning, assigning, directing, and supervising work; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations including media houses and civil society organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Ensure programs are in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements, and regulations as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the programs’ primary budget authority, with responsibility for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Accept fiduciary responsibility or all funds advanced for the purpose of the project.
- Maintain regular contact with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of media and freedom of information issues in the country.
- Lead fundraising and development activities to advance and enrich programming in the country.
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Advanced degree (Master’s or higher) in media and communications, international development, rule of law, social sciences, management, or a related field.
- Seven years of progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations and senior program management experience OR seven years senior level management experience in the design, implementation, and management of programs of similar size, complexity, and setting.
- Excellent written and spoken French and English.
- Experience with US Government-funded programs.
- Relevant experience in Africa is preferred.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supervising and supporting senior managerial staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of institutional partners and stakeholders, including host governments.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in fundraising and development of innovative program concepts.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment both virtually and in person, including with colleagues in different time zones.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bangui, Bangui, Central African Republic
Application Deadline: N/A