This listing is about Jacobs in Warrington, England, United Kingdom
About the job
At Jacobs, we’ll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay, free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships.
We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
Jacobs Nuclear is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects. We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs Nuclear provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world.
We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you as a Principal Mechanical Engineer to support a key project within the nuclear business, the role will be flexible with a mixture of home working and occasional site meetings.
About The Opportunity
You would be responsible for the development of mechanical engineering designs of material handling equipment in a storage environment. You would bring your expertise and experience to the design team and ensure that the designs produced are fit for purpose, safe and cost effective.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Apply expertise to generate innovative and / or technically differentiated solutions to problems, to deliver added value for clients
- Maintain own knowledge of new technologies and equipment advances, and disseminate such information as appropriate within the group such that Jacobs maintains and enhances its ability to deliver for clients
- Build client relationships to make effective use of existing frameworks
- Assist the development of the engineering elements of the project/task baseline scope, schedule and budget for multi-discipline delivery
- Ability to work remotely whilst successfully achieving deliverable based outcomes through a virtual team
- Ensure status and performance of work is reported accurately and in a timely manner
- Interfacing with design teams and stakeholders
- Provide functional support and guidance to more junior staff to develop both them as individuals and the capability of the team as a whole
Other Duties Will Include
- Provides technical input in project or consulting role
- Works within and develops Jacobs and Client procedures
- Regular attendance will be required at project office and site locations along with design team delivery locations
Here’s What You’ll Need
Here’s What You’ll Need
- A minimum of HNC/ HND with over 10 years’ experience in a relevant industry
- Detail design knowledge of mechanical material handling systems, mechanisms or bespoke equipment in a highly regulated environment such as Nuclear.
- Demonstrated record of maintaining own skills and knowledge at the forefront of the field knowledge of delivering against legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g., safety, quality, risk, security.
- Proactive and driven approach to work, taking ownership of the tasks required to be completed under their remit
- Working knowledge of Excel and appropriate CAE packages including, Autodesk Products (AutoCAD & Inventor)
- Extensive knowledge of relevant drawing standards BS8888, BS5070 and BS EN 61082 – Relevant experience in the Nuclear Industry would be beneficial
- Comfortable working under time and cost constraints including commercial awareness
- Attendance and presentation at Safety and Design reviews including HAZOP, HAZAN and other related studies when required
Good to have
- Significant work experience in a highly regulated industry, ideally some of it in the nuclear industry
- Able to demonstrate that continuing professional development has been a part of their career so far
- Familiarity with nuclear design principles and processes
- Knowledge and experience of the SL design process and standards
- UKCA experience would be beneficial
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day.
Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com/uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
Job Reference ID CMS00035P
Job Location: Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org