This listing is about Jacobs in Warrington, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do – whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications – is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too.
That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world’s greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About The Opportunity
The Materials Science and Structural Integrity (MSSI) department undertakes research and consultancy on a range of structural and mechanical issues for customers who operate safety critical structures. Supported by advanced laboratory and theoretical modelling facilities, the predominant activities are a mixture of consulting, research, technical assessment and testing.
Materials testing plays an essential role in supporting the design and manufacture of components for both current and future nuclear reactors. This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Technician to join the MSSI Team. You will play an important role in the design and manufacture of bespoke materials test rigs, fittings and test samples to be used in materials testing programmes and industry-driven research and development across MSSI.
The position is based in the Laboratory at Birchwood Park, Warrington.
Here’s What You’ll Need
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Time-served apprenticeship (or equivalent experience) completed in a relevant discipline.
- Experience in tool making and precision manufacturing with competence in the use of a wide range of machine and power tools, including Electrical Discharge Machining.
- Knowledge and practical experience of design, manufacturing and assembly of mechanical rigs.
- Experience of producing complex technical drawings to optimise specimen extraction from material.
- Experience of working to accredited quality and safety procedures.
- Ability to identify, assess and address potential safety hazards associated with duties, working in accordance with risk assessments and undertaking point of work risk assessments.
- The ability to apply practical skills and knowledge to devise solutions of complex problems.
- Communication skills to work as part of a team and the ability to discuss tasks with others from different technical disciplines.
- A willingness to spend a proportion of the time working on client sites if required (not expected to be significant).
- Willingness to work in clean conditions in a controlled radioactive laboratory.
- While the role is full-time, we support flexible working and will welcome applications from those wishing to work part-time.
- HNC qualification is beneficial but not essential.
- Experience of dealing directly with clients and sub-contractors.
- Experience of supervising and checking the work of colleagues against specified procedures.
- Possession of current lifting, rigging and fork lift truck driving certificates would be beneficial.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
Job Reference ID CMS0003DU
Job Location: Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org