This listing is about Jacobs in Birchwood, England, United Kingdom
About the job
At Jacobs, we’ll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About The Opportunity
Jacobs is currently searching for E, C & I Engineers to support our work on Advanced Nuclear Reactor projects including the RR Small Modular Reactor.
The advanced reactor projects in question may relate to Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) or Advanced Modular Reactors (AMRs). These reactor programmes will develop modular reactor designs that are expected to become a key part of the UK’s energy supply in the future, applying innovative techniques, modular construction and advanced manufacturing techniques to develop a solution that will drive down the cost of electricity generation from nuclear power.
These reactor design projects provide a unique opportunity to be involved in design activities supporting UK-developed nuclear new-build. Jacobs are providing engineering expertise in several key areas of these projects and are building a team to lead the E, C & I engineering aspects.
These are exciting, challenging, nuclear projects requiring expertise in all aspects of E, C & I relating to nuclear plant and large power generating plant. They will offer the opportunity to gain knowledge across a wide range of aspects of E, C & I design activities, applied in an innovative way, to some of the main nuclear projects in the UK. Support will be available from Senior Engineers who are experts in their fields, as well as appropriate training courses to support the development of successful candidates.
Based out of the Jacobs North West offices, the role will support the development of E, C & I systems for new reactor designs. It will also provide the opportunity to work with engineers from several other large engineering companies across a range of disciplines including process, civil and safety. This is an exciting opportunity with a remit for strong technical delivery.
The role would be ideally suited to junior engineers who have completed their initial training, gained some experience and are now looking to broaden their careers. A few years’ experience in electrical or C&I design in a process or industrial environment would be beneficial. A desire to learn and an enthusiastic approach to work are characteristics that are essential for the role.
- Working alongside the existing SMR C&I team
- Support to the development of the design by reviewing available technologies, carrying out basic calculations and understanding project requirements
- Assessment of technical options to achieve the most cost-effective overall solution
- Generating technical reports to capture design work
- Support to the generation of key documents to capture the design such as single line diagrams, layout requirements and bills of material
- Interaction with other disciplines and review of their input documents including Process Flow Diagrams, design requirements, hazard analysis, layout drawings etc.
- Assessment of design requirements from the customer / other engineering teams and capture of these as inputs to the E, C & I design
- Support to senior engineers and presentation of design work to other teams at cross discipline meetings
- Take account of broader project requirements such as operability, maintenance, safety and modularisation
- Generate ideas for implementation of latest technology / techniques to ensure lowest cost and highest performance for the stations
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Degree qualified in an appropriate subject / Chartered Engineer (or the ability to attain CEng)
- A background of working in an E, C &I field in an industrial environment
- A sound theoretical knowledge able to be applied to current areas of knowledge but also adapted to new areas
- Ability to demonstrate some knowledge of the practical aspects of implementing engineering designs
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to write high quality technical reports
- The ability to manage your time and stakeholders to multi-task effectively
- Knowledge of the use of standards and compliance with regulatory requirements in an engineering environment
- Able to simplify complex problems, break them down into manageable steps and clearly explain the work to non-technical stakeholders
- High level of computer proficiency using the standard Microsoft tools but also more complex specialist engineering software such as simulation systems
- An understanding of project management tools and processes as applied to engineering projects
- The role will be predominantly based in Warrington but a willingness to travel to and work at the sites of other organisations and clients in the UK is required
- Ability to identify activities that need to be completed and plan and prioritise work
- Work well with others and build and maintain relationships
- Ability to obtain security clearance to basic level is a requirement of the role
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.
Key Words EC&I, E C & I, Electrical, Control & Instrumentation (E, C&I), C&I, E, C&I, E,C&I
Job Reference ID CMS0003BD
Job Location: Birchwood, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org