This listing is about Jacobs in Birchwood, England, United Kingdom
About the job
At Jacobs, we’ll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
Modular Reactor (RR SMR) Project.
The RR SMR project is led by Rolls-Royce with the support of several major UK engineering organisations to develop a modular reactor design that will become a key part of the UK’s energy supply in the future, applying innovative techniques, modular construction and advanced manufacturing techniques to develop a solution that will drive down the cost of electricity generation from nuclear power. The project provides a unique opportunity to be involved in UK-developed nuclear new-build and the project has secured significant government investment (~£215 million with matched funding from private investors) to support this phase. The work will take the design from concept, through regulatory assessment to detailed design.
Jacobs are a preferred supplier to RR SMR and are providing resources to the project, including managing a team to support the EC&I engineering for the power station. In addition, several EC&I packages of work are likely to be identified that will be delivered from the broader Jacobs organisation and will require oversight. Finally, there is an opportunity to provide “one off” contracts such as test rigs and the role will also require the oversight of the delivery of the EC&I component of this work. This is an exciting, challenging, nuclear project requiring expertise in all aspects of EC&I relating to nuclear plant and large power generating plant.
Based out of the Jacobs North West offices, this role will be to manage the existing EC&I team and support future recruitment and development as the team increases in numbers to deal with the increasing workload as the project progresses. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager with either an electrical or control systems background. Previous experience in power station design and / or the nuclear industry would be beneficial but is not essential.
- Degree qualified / Chartered Engineer
- A background in electrical or control systems design for highly regulated process industries or power generation
- Managed at least a small team of engineers
- Able to represent the discipline across all levels of the project and business with good presentation skills
- Familiarity with design and specification of systems required for safety including preparation of safety cases, presentation to regulatory bodies and compliance with international standards such as IEC61513
- Full project lifecycle experience, including requirements capture and management, concept and detail design, manufacture, verification and validation, installation and commissioning.
- Understanding of systems engineering as applied to a project. This should include driving design using requirements and use of Model Based Systems Engineering tools.
- Comfortable working at a high level to ensure performance, cost and quality requirements are met but also able to achieve detailed requirement delivery
- Knowledge of standards compliance including certification and industry “best practice”
- Experience of major engineering delivery on projects
- Mobilisingecruiting discipline engineering resources including competency assessment
- Producing and implementing engineering project execution plans using resource and material cost estimates. Tracking and adapting the plan to meet CPI and SPI measurements
- Managing discipline design reviews at various phases of the project
- Developing relationships with subcontractors and suppliers including supplier selection and qualification. Ensuring appropriate supplier management processes are followed.
- Familiar with the latest engineering tools used for EC&I design
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Assessment of technical options to achieve the most cost-effective overall solution
- Development of design documents for the power station in specialist area
- Interaction with other disciplines and review of their input documents to ensure they provide appropriate input for the EC&I design process
- Provide advice to other teams relating to the specification of the EC&I requirements for their equipment
- Ensure that the EC&I design complies with the key project requirements and considers key aspects such as cost, build certainty, modularisation, maintenance and obsolescence
- Ensure that the overall design meets the requirements for performance and operability including liaison with operating companies
- Support activities relating to deployment of the RR SMR on the first sites.
- Generate ideas for implementation of latest technology / techniques to ensure lowest cost and highest performance for the station
- Ensuring design is produced in line with required Regulatory, Customer and Company standards
- Delivery of all discipline related Engineering Design deliverables to cost, schedule and quality
- Identification and application of discipline related design standards and specifications applicable to the project
- Overseeing team progress and reporting
- Engineering coordination between electrical and C&I disciplines
- Performing appropriate engineering reviews
- Identifying discipline resource needs and supporting recruitment process
- Ensuring design change and configuration is effectively implemented
- The identification of changes in the scope of work and ensuring that changes are appropriately managed
- Understanding key discipline related engineering software systems and ensuring appropriate tools are available and used in a suitable way
- Representing the discipline at technical review meetings with other teams, progress monitoring meetings and technical presentations on EC&I design.
- The role will be predominantly based in Warrington but a willingness to travel to and work at the sites of other organisations (including RR Derby) is required
- A high level of personal motivation, including the ability to identify activities that need to be completed and plan and prioritise these within the overall project plan
- Excellent communication skills across a range of organisational levels, including high quality written technical reports
- Works well with others and builds and maintains relationships
- Ability to obtain security clearance to basic level is a requirement of the role
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.
Job Reference ID CMS0003AK
Job Location: Birchwood, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com