Senior Political Affairs Officer in NORCAP part of the Norwegian Refugee Council Bamako, Mali
Website NORCAP part of the Norwegian Refugee Council
This job listing is about NORCAP part of the Norwegian Refugee Council in Bamako, Mali 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
NORDEM is NORCAP`s programme on human rights, democracy and peace. We support international organisations and operations that work in the field of human rights, democratisation and peace with qualified personnel. In addition, we offer advice, support the transfer of experience and contribute to research. Our expertise covers such fields as good governance, democratic institutions, independence of the judiciary, judicial and legal reform, human rights, election observation and election assistance.
Since 2013 NORCAP has worked in partnership with the African Union Commission (AUC), Peace and Security Department (PSD) to meet their growing demand for specialized civilian experts. NORCAP has supported peace and security initiatives specifically in the area of peace support operations, conflict prevention, and post-conflict reconstruction and development. Based on the AUC need of continued expertise support, NORCAP is expanding its support within and beyond PSD, to also include governance and development. NORCAP and the AUC work together in choosing deployments that will further the work of the AU towards Agenda 2063, which includes political stability, transformation and unity among other goals.
Therefore, we are in search of a seasoned professional with expertise in International Relations, International Law and Conflict Management/Resolution as a Senior Political Affairs Officer. The selected candidate will implement AU/PAPS mandate in Mali and SAHEL, in terms of prevention and management of conflicts. The position is located in the AU Liaison Office in Mali and has a duration of at least 1 year, with a 3 month probationary period.
This position is for applicants with citizenship from member states of AU only.
In addition to contributing to the definition and implementation of AU Policies to support transitions in the Sahel region, based on events, the Senior Political Affairs Officer will aslo:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise the Head of AU Liaison Office in Mali and Senior Management on conflict management and resolution related issues in Mali and Sahel, in particular the identification of strategic entry-points for African Union’s intervention;
- Collecting and analysing information on the ground from different sources;
- Follow up on the peace process resulting from the Algiers agreements;
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of AU policies to support transitions in the region;
- Convene and co-chair the Political and Institutional Issues sub-committee;
- Contribute to the revision of the AU Strategy for the Sahel and its implementation;
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues in general, and in particular as they affect the countries and thematic mandate for which the staff is responsible;
- Keeping abreast of latest trends and developpements in the area of assignment and providing inputs on pertinents issues to Head of AU Liaison Officein Mali, to senior officials and colleagues in missions and to AU Headquaters ;
- Regularly monitoring national and district level political developpement and provide daily and weekly updates to Head of the AU Liaison Office in Mali, as well as situation Room (Headquaters) on developements taking place;
- Producing regular reports, briefing notes, talking points, speech, communications and strategic analysis to Head of Mission and also in support of the work of Peace and Security Council (PSC) in the area of assignment, including reports focusing on implementation of PSC priorities at local level;
- Identify gaps, prioritize which gaps need to be addressed and develop and coordinate/implement strategies to address the gaps;
- Providing technical substantive back-ups in the implementation of mandate of the office;
- Maintaining contacts with governemental organizations and international organizations on coordination and policy matters;
- Monitoring actions taken by intergovernemental groups, UN organizations, government and non gorvenmental organizations;
- Participating in fact-finding and other missions to countries within assigned area of responsibility;
- Defining work plan for area assigned in accordance with established terms of reference;
- Performing any other duty assigned to him/her by the Head of of AU Liaison Office in Mali.
In order to be considered for this role, you will also need to have:
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- An advanced degree (with 7 years relevant experience) in Political Science, International relations, International Law and Conflict Prevention and Resolution, working in research Centers/Institutes’, UN or UN Agencies or lecturing at a University in Political Science, International Law or undertaking research in Political Science;
- Must have excellent presentation and drafting skills and excellent knowledge of current political, social and economic developments in Africa (particulary in Mali and Sahel) and the world;
- Must have the ability to work with a team of professional staff and capacity for creativity and initiative as well as capacity to conduct strategic analysis
- Must be familiar to reportings and briefings and meeting tight deadlines.
- Fluency in French and proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of other African Union official languages (Arabic and/or Portuguese)
Please know that the African Union is an equal opportunity employer and, therefore, women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Skills and Competencies Required
- Ability to work within a small field office in difficult circumstances, take initiative and be a team player; Computer literacy including in word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software;
- Excellent writing and report drafting and good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and culture backgrounds with sensitivity and respect of diversity
If you are interested and meet the qualifications listed above, you are encouraged to apply based on the instructions below!
Application procedures and CV registration:
- Kindly submit your application in English and include your full name as written in your passport
- Please enter the details of your work history in the appropriate fields of our application portal
- Useful Tip: You can copy-paste the contents of your CV under Work History
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no speciﬁc ﬁeld for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” ﬁeld for both company and location
- NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on shortlisted candidates
- Approved Health Certiﬁcate will be required prior to contract commencement and deployment
- All applicants will get feedback within four weeks after the closing of this advertisement.
Company: NORCAP part of the Norwegian Refugee Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bamako, Mali
Application Deadline: N/A