Market-based Approach Programme Development Manager Sudan Khartoum in Norwegian Refugee Council ولاية الخرطوم الخرطوم السودان
Website Norwegian Refugee Council
This job listing is about Norwegian Refugee Council in ولاية الخرطوم الخرطوم السودان 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
As Market Based Approach (MBS) PDM, you will play a leading role in supporting NRC Sudan’s MBA programme ambitions and support initiatives with key deliverables that focus on institutionalization. The PDM will drive the development of programmes that make key market systems work better for the people NRC serves. You will provide MBA technical leadership on the strategic development and management of market system programmess from new business development to technical support for implementation and close out.
NRC Sudan and neighboring Country Office operations are well positioned to grow their market-based programming, presenting exciting potential for the position holder’s leadership role to grow in influence and impact. More broadly, this position represents an exciting opportunity to lead strategic thinking that pushes the boundaries of conventional NRC programming practice through its application of the systems thinking – whilst maintaining NRCs core focus on supporting conflict-affected displaced communities.
You will report to the Head of Programme and work closely with all relevant CC Specialists, Programme Development Managers (PDM), Support Managers, and Area Managers, with a focus on relationships and capacity building whilst developing/ editing processes and systems of programme design.
- Strategy and Programme Development
- Develop strategic frameworks that demonstrate and promote the integration of market systems with other sectors in both humanitarian and transitional programming;
- Contribute to market systems-specific inputs relevant for the Country Strategy, Response Plans, and CC strategies;
- With CC Specialists and relevant support departments, identify opportunities for creative, innovative, and integrated MBA programming, including donor mapping for policy work and funding;
- Select methodologies for analysing market systems and work with programme colleagues and external actors to define a response with NRC programme outcomes;
- Document good practice and lessons learned in MBA in Sudan for learning purposes and for sharing with donors and the wider humanitarian community.
- Technical Support, Oversight, Supervision, and Capacity Building
- Ensure sector selection and system framing; market systems research and analysis; designing systemic interventions to address the root causes of market dysfunctions which disadvantage and exclude vulnerable displacement affected people; finding strategic leverage points for co-investment and building public and private sector partnerships, monitoring interventions, and adapting strategy in response to results;
- Support programme staff understand and embed adaptive programming approaches (the adjustment of programme actions following contextual changes and programmatic feedback), necessary for relevant and effective programming.
- Support programme and support managers through building the capacity of programme teams in market systems as a foundation to NRC’s programming, and market systems programming and analysis as a response;
- Mainstream the Minimum Economic Recovery Standards (MERS) across the project cycle;
- Train and mentor staff in market systems approaches to ensure successful programme implementation, and support them to access additional professional development and technical capacity, building as required;
- Support critical interactions and decision-making with key actors in selected market systems;
- Manage the compilation of activity and periodic reports, and liaise for review, submission and dissemination;
- Lead on internal advocacy and building shared understanding with country management and technical colleagues on market systems.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work closely with M&E to support adaptive programming and accountability activities for MBAs, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in programme design and implementation;
- Monitor the scale and scope of MBA across all Core Competencies via GORS, Agresso, and other NRC systems to measure achievement of country ambitions in MBA;
- Work closely with the M&E team to develop an evaluation and learning plan for MBA.
- Coordination and Representation
- Liaise and coordinate with UN and I/NGO partners, local authorities, and beneficiaries in planning and overseeing MBA programming and contextual understanding of areas of operations;
- Identify and build strategic relations with market actors (consumers, traders, wholesalers), market service providers (e.g. financial institutions, facilities managers, telecoms companies), market governance entities (e.g. local government), peer agencies (humanitarian and development), coordination mechanisms, donors, civil society and academic groups for implementation, research, and resource mobilization;
- Represent NRC Sudan externally in relevant coordination, technical, policy, and advocacy forums and communities of practice, in particular – but not limited to – the MERS and the Markets in Crisis communities of practice, the BEAM exchange etc.
View this job description for more details before you apply
Generic professional competencies:
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in Agricultural Economics, International Development, International Relations, Business Management or another relevant field;
- At least three years of humanitarian and/or development context experience in systems programming with a focus on markets, including three years’ experience in a project management position;
- Advanced knowledge and skills in designing and implementing MBA. This includes experience in planning, organising, and implementing market system assessments, mapping, and analysis;
- Experience in institutionalising MBA and addressing structural barriers to market systems adoption;
- Knowledge and experience in developing and facilitating trainings in MBA;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, including strong skills in Excel.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience in contexts with high levels of inflation would be desirable;
- Strong strategic thinker with demonstrated capacity to translate concepts into action, with proven ability to be accountable for all components of the programme;
- Curiosity about the root causes of market failure, and instinctive ability to compile multi-actor collaborations in response;
- Knowledge of the context in Sudan and Arabic language skills is an advantage;
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing diverse workload;
- P roven ability to work effectively across cultures, in sensitive environments
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC, we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract
- Non family duty station with travel of at least 50% expected within the country
- Mid-management grade 9 in NRC’s grade structure
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
Click this email to contact the recruitment team; quote the full name of the advert on your subject line. Applications sent via email will not be accepted. Please check your application status on your NRC application profile.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
Company: Norwegian Refugee Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: ولاية الخرطوم الخرطوم السودان
Application Deadline: N/A