This listing is about Potato in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
We’re currently looking for new Python Engineers to join our UK project teams to deliver complex web applications written in Python, primarily using Google Cloud and Django. You’ll be developing high-profile digital products for well known clients, while working within a supportive, cross-discipline product team.
About the role:
As an Engineer, your main focus is project work, working closely with designers, delivery leads, product leads, and with guidance and mentoring from other members of the Engineering team. You will be assigned a representative from the Engineering team (usually a Team Engineer or Tech Community Lead) to aid your progression and help you move forward with your career at Potato.
You will join one of our friendly, supportive, proactive Agile product teams. Our teams are self-organising, with the freedom to define their own ways of working.
Although this is advertised as a full-time role, we’re interested in applications from part-time or flexible workers.
We’re looking for someone who writes great code, but also enjoys collaborating with other disciplines in the product team to devise creative solutions to the users’ needs. For this role, you should have an appreciation of the full web stack, as well as an appreciation of current trends in both backend and frontend web technologies. Experience with modern web frameworks is a plus, but not mandatory.
You will be accountable for:
- Writing clean, easy to read, and maintainable code
- Finding creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software
- Striking the right balance between perfection and delivery
- Working in a friendly, self-organising, cross-functional, Agile product team
- Supporting other Engineers within the team
- Collaborating closely with other disciplines such as Designers and Product Leads
- Regularly working together with multiple clients and client engineers
You must have:
- Proven experience building for the web using Python
- Detailed knowledge and long-term experience with a backend Python framework such as Flask, Django or FastAPI
- Proven experience of model design on relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with Google App Engine or a similar PaaS
- An understanding of security vulnerabilities and how to prevent them
- A high-level understanding of frontend development
- Experience launching high-quality digital products
- Proven experience creating secure and well-designed APIs
- Proven experience building for scale: high traffic, big data, large feature sets
- Proven front-end web or native app development skills
- Knowledge of testing, QA tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
- Expertise in developing software in an area outside the Web (e.g. Game development, mobile development etc.)
Working shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the best engineers, designers and product leads in town, we’ll give you the freedom to manage your own work and trust you to get things done. Want to work from home occasionally? Go for it. Need to unwind with a game of pool or some studio dog cuddles? All good. Ultimately, we just want to make sure that you have everything you need to help us build the best products possible.
You’ll have many opportunities for growth and learning: collaboration within teams, rotation to different products, experimentation on internal tools, involvement in new business and pitching, our Potato Talks events, mentorship, training courses, and conferences.
We want to make our hiring as inclusive as possible, this job description has been reviewed by a range of employees and has passed a neutral language check. We have also reviewed our hiring process to make sure it offers flexibility to candidates that need it.
We’re trying to do better and would love your feedback. If you think there’s anything we could improve, or places you think we should advertise, then please let us know.
We welcome remote applications within the UK. We already have people in London, Bristol, Leeds, Portsmouth, and Bury St Edmunds.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com