Research Biologist in PANTHERA Belmopan, Belize
This job listing is about PANTHERA in Belmopan, Belize 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
Panthera, founded in 2006, is devoted exclusively to the conservation of wild cats and their ecosystems. Utilizing the expertise of the world’s premier cat biologists, Panthera develops and implements global conservation strategies for the most imperiled large cats – tigers, lions, jaguars, snow leopards, cheetahs, pumas and leopards – as well as all species of small cat. Representing the most comprehensive effort of its kind, Panthera works in partnership with local and international NGOs, scientific institutions, local communities and governments around the globe to achieve its mission. For more on Panthera, visit
- Field data collection: Prepare for and maintain annual camera trapping surveys. Field work includes deployments of survey grids, data retrieval and station maintenance. Provide timely updates to country coordinator and field team throughout the survey.
- Panthera Integrated Data System (IDS): Prepare data files and process camera trap into IDS system in a timely manner: including species classification and individual identification of felids. Maintain communication with Data Science team and maintain up-to-date with IDS upgrades and features. Maintain communication with Data Science team to learn troubleshoots and identify errors in the system.
- Maintaining of field equipment: Including preparation of camera traps for deployment, regular firmware updates, and maintenance of camera traps and other field equipment.
- Assisting in inventory: assist office manager in inventorying of field equipment
- Assist with short and long-term projects: When short or long-term project proposals are in effect, assist country coordinator with relevant roles and responsibilities (office and field related).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Natural Resources Management, environmental science, statistics or related fields
- Experience in wildlife monitoring
- report writing
- data management
Specific skills / Qualities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- GIS/QGIS or related geospatial software
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Time management skills
- Ability to work with and without supervision
- Naturalist; interest in wildlife and wildlife research
- Well organized and meticulous
- Team player
- Fast learner
- Proper use of GPS (including software) and navigational equipment is an asset.
- Bilingual English and Spanish
- Work Authorization to work in Belize
- Driver’s license required (manual)
- Off-road driving experience is an asset.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Belmopan, Belize
Application Deadline: N/A