Senior Metallurgical Engineer in Kinross Gold Corporation Nouakchott, Nouakchott, Mauritania
Website Kinross Gold Corporation
This job listing is about Kinross Gold Corporation in Nouakchott, Nouakchott, Mauritania 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
The Tasiast mine is an open-pit operation in northwestern Mauritania located within an extensive gold system that is largely underexplored. The mine is proceeding with an expansion that is expected to increase production and lower operating costs. Tasiast is a cornerstone asset in Kinross’ portfolio, with a long mine life a large mineral reserve base.
As one of the largest private employers in Mauritania, Tasiast invests heavily in training and career development opportunities and has many important programs in place to support its host communities. For example, since 2014, Tasiast’s mobile clinic, which provides free medical support to isolated communities, has provided over 32,000 consultations.
The Senior Metallurgical Engineer will provide leadership, engineering technical services, project management, and planning direction to achieve business and operational goals.
This role will be responsible for supporting and guiding two critical business units the Fixed Plant group and the Processing Department Improvement team. In addition, there will be involvement and cooperation with the expansion projects on the Tasiast mine site. The incumbent will participate in the implementation of plant test programs for improving mill performance, in collaboration with the FP Project team, advice and contribute to the processing plant operational performance improvements.
It is critical to the role that there is a transfer of knowledge to the Mauritanian staff, ensuring rigorous performance management is implemented including the development of succession plans, which will deliver a sustained outcome in ensuring the Kinross Mauritinisation objectives are met.
This role reports to the Tasiast Process Manager and will typically engage with Expatriate and National Superintendents, Supervisors, and other Staff.
- Safety is a priority at Tasiast and as such all policies and workplace practices will take precedence in ensuring maximum compliance and application at all times.
- Guide, interact, and provide support to the Process Department Metallurgical, Operational, Maintenance, Continuous Improvement, and Project teams.
- Ensure that Continuous improvement activities are well managed, conducted efficiently, and clearly demonstrate achievements in a timely manner.
- Work with the Fixed Plant team, and ensure tasks are technically well scoped, budgeted, and executed to achieve design outcomes.
- Lead the engagement with the Metallurgy team to provide input and guidance to optimize the Processing Plant Performance.
- Work with compliance to company policies and procedures including but not limited to safety, confidentiality, and environmental policies.
- Work for this role can be complex and involve new methodologies, approaches, or products requiring the interpretation of information to make recommendations. Problem resolution involves a high degree of independent judgment to interpret the policy in situations where considerable variability may occur. The application of theoretical concepts or original approaches to complete projects or assignments is required including upholding quality standards for delivered work outcomes.
Education and Experience
- A Degree in Metallurgical / Mine Engineering or related field is required as a minimum.
- Minimum of 10 years of international experience in operations and technical support, including 5 years in precious metals and two years in process control.
- Experience with SCADA, DCS, or advanced control systems would be beneficial.
- Detailed knowledge of all phases of gold processing including crushing, grinding, CIL, elution circuits, and refining is required.
- Superior judgment and the ability to make good decisions are essential.
- Must be able to identify the root problem, not only the symptoms of a problem, and drive positive change.
- A proactive, forward-thinking individual who plans and anticipates,
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and persuasive skills
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Positive work ethic and self-motivation
- Demonstrated interpersonal approach and ability to instill pride, trust, and openness in others.
- Adaptable to new environments with a sensitivity and appreciation for cultural differences.
- Ability to present plans and findings and make recommendations to Process Manager and Senior Leaders professionally with clarity and in a timely manner
- The ability to communicate fluently in English is mandatory. French is an asset.
Kinross is a Canadian-based global senior gold mining company with operations and projects in the United States, Brazil, Mauritania, Chile, and Canada. Our focus on delivering value is based on our core principles of responsible mining, operational excellence, disciplined growth and balance sheet strength. Kinross maintains listings on the Toronto Stock Exchange (symbol:K) and the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:KGC).
Company: Kinross Gold Corporation
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Nouakchott, Nouakchott, Mauritania
Application Deadline: N/A