This listing is about Shell in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
, United Kingdom
Job Family Group
External Relations (and IC)
Posting Start Date
January 20, 2022
HR Corporate Functions
The world is changing fast and Shell is changing, too – not only to keep up with the external pace, but also to anticipate and shape a different future. The new integrated Corporate Relations function will deliver value by supporting our strategy and sectoral approach and improving policy and advocacy outcomes. We will bring the outside in and secure and drive Shell’s reputation and values. Drawing on a strong base of professional excellence, we aspire to be best-in-class at achieving integrated outcomes through effective engagement and communication with external and internal stakeholders.
Shell is a company with global reach and impact and is the subject of intense media interest daily and it is vital for the company to have an experienced and passionate media spokesperson to help represent its range of businesses. The spokesperson has an exciting role proactively building Shell’s reputation in the media by leveraging the successful execution of business strategy to achieve fair and balanced coverage. The successful candidate will need to deliver clarity and understanding of Shell’s strategy – alongside representing its businesses and assets – through print, broadcast, online and social media and work to mitigate the reach and impact of potential negative stories.
Where you fit in
The Media Relations team acts as a 24/7 global digital newsroom, managing relationships with Tier 1 print, online, social and broadcast media. It provides functional support and advice on strategic reputational and media issues to the business and has a 24/7 crisis response capability. It strives to achieve commercial objectives and promotes business priorities across traditional and new media channels. The team works closely with Investor Relations to manage the disclosure of new external material .
What is the role?
- To be resilient along with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment. Demonstrate and deploy good judgment and the ability to be creative. Ability to identify compelling stories and have an external focus.
- To balance business, country and Group priorities to help build a reputation for Shell and be firm with strategic guidance in the face of competing internal pressures and viewpoints.
- To rapidly and effectively analyse developing situations and advise senior management on necessary courses of action, including crisis situations.
- To act on own initiative when representing the Group’s policies and actions to media, and in determining appropriate tone and level of response.
- To filter incoming requests for interviews with senior management, appreciating the consequences of a positive or negative response, before advising senior management.
- The ability to form and sustain relationships based on mutual trust and understanding with senior journalists, and business leaders.
- To organise press briefings, events and media site visits, and facilitate set-piece events such as quarterly results and management presentations.
- To implement the strategy, policy and standards guidelines process for the Global Media Relations Centre of Excellence to deliver RDS strategy.
What We Need From You
- Relevant degree or proven work experience in a multinational organisation.
- Strong experience working in a corporate communications team, within a complex organisation either in the public or private sector.
- Preference for a former journalist, or frontline experience dealing with the media.
- Proven track record of working with senior business leaders, providing strategic support and guidance, developing trusted partnerships to support business outcomes.
- Strong writings skills and proven track record in development of creative, engaging content.
- A hunger for and insight of news, for the external landscape and the interaction or traditional, social and broadcast outlets.
- Having a learner mindset and being curious to learn from mistakes and successes.
- Maximise performance: Integrate and collaborate across boundaries to maximise commercial value for Shell as a whole.
We are keen to support flexible working arrangements, subject to local regulations and legislative frameworks. If this is of interest to you, please describe in your application the type of flexible working arrangements for which you would like to be considered (e.g. part-time, job share).
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com