This listing is about Shell in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
, United Kingdom
Job Family Group
Posting Start Date
January 3, 2022
Where you fit in
Shell Energy is at the heart of delivering Shell’s ambition to become a world-class investment case that powers progress by providing a diverse array of cleaner energy solutions. A key driver in fulfilling that ambition is the Environmental Products Trading Business (EPTB) – an exciting, fast-moving, and growing area. The role we are hiring for is a Market Risk Manager who will be a focal point in supporting this business. We are interested in attracting a candidate who shares our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others, with the ability to achieve great results through teamwork and who can generate creative solutions to problems.
What’s the role?
The Risk Manager Carbon will be based in London, leading a team of 4 market risk professionals, based in the UK and Singapore. The EPTB Market Risk Team has a global remit, supporting trading businesses in North America, London, Singapore, China and Australia. The Risk Manager Carbon is responsible for understanding the global voluntary/compliance markets, trading strategies employed by EPTB, as well as being able to model the various complexities and optionality within the portfolio.
The purpose of the role is to independently identify, measure, and report on the level of risk from new business proposals, material contracts, and trading market conditions in order to advise the commercial teams on mitigation strategies and risk appetite. The role will provide risk assessments and insights to senior management while collaborating with and providing market specific information and advice to others in the global Finance and Risk Management organization. This includes the Valuation, Quantitative Analytics, Risk Management Operations, and Technical Accounting teams among others. The EPTB Market Risk Team will provide an independent view as to whether the organization is receiving appropriate compensation for the risk they are taking.
The role will require a close collaboration with both the Trading (EPTB) and Nature Based Solutions team to ensure risks all long-term risks are adequately understood and reflected. The role works closely with risk leads for all parts of the risk management spectrum, as well as Front Office, Finance, Valuation, Compliance, Back Office.
What We Need From You
- Preferred degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, Science, Engineering or IT; other degrees will be considered with relevant workplace experience in the energy trading industry. Advanced degrees a plus
- Thorough understanding of financial, commodity and energy markets; derivative instruments and hedging techniques
- Experience of cap-and-trade compliance instruments (e.g., UKAs, EUAs, CCAs) and a good understanding of the interdependencies with other commodity asset classes (e.g., gas, power)
- Experience/knowledge of the voluntary carbon markets and associated standards (e.g., VCS, Gold Standard, REDD+)
- Working experience of long-term deals, structured off-takes and option structures
- Proven experience of new market entries, new deal structures, and emerging markets
- Substantial experience within a trading and risk management organization, including a strong understanding of trading, operations, risk, compliance and mid/back-office business processes, policies, procedures and controls
- Experience of leading a team and business/function; leader and adviser in implementing new processes with short-dated hard deadlines
- Learner mindset; innovative and creative, excellent problem-solving capabilities
- A critical and strategic thinker, with a long-term view on risk but with a short term and pragmatic view on implementation
- Technologically oriented; ability to utilise new technologies to enhance existing controls, processes, and offer detailed trading insights
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org