This listing is about Shell in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
, United Kingdom
Job Family Group
Information Technology (IT)
Posting Start Date
December 2, 2021
Projects and Technology
Where you fit in?
The Solution Data Architect ensures that projects and products deliver cost effective, sustainable data solutions that align with Shell’s strategic direction. The Solution Data Architect will be expected to develop data models and other artefacts plus influence design decisions throughout the software development lifecycle.
Key deliverables include the Solution Architecture High Level Design covering all necessary data models, matrices, diagrams, controls, and architectural guidance to detail the solution’s data design and enable its physical implementation.
The Solution Data Architect will need to collaborate with the Segment Data Architect to understand the bigger picture driving the segment, leverage and contribute towards Enterprise artefacts, and deliver in accordance with the strategic guidance and enterprise standards.
The role requires a hands-on approach to data design including specialist knowledge of technologies involved in the implementation of data-based solutions.
What’s the role?
- Works with Business Analysts, Data Analysts, and Business SME’s to determine the solutions data scope by understanding the business data requirements driving the solution.
- Works with the Solution Architect to design the end-to-end solution data flows (e.g. API’s) sourcing data from architecturally approved sources (masters) and highlighting any gaps.
- Works with Analysts, SME’s and Architects to assess data sources and their suitability for the solution. This includes profiling data to infer and communicate pertinent facts about users, systems, and data quality from the data sets.
- Designs conceptual and logical data models to support the business requirements.
- Uses the logical data model as basis of delivering physical data models or message formats. Works with Software and Data Engineers to ensure they are implemented as designed. Where possible produces DDL for the build of data stores.
- Ensures that physical models meet all functional requirements and provides input on non-functional aspects such as sizing, performance, and scalability.
- Creates or validates mapping of data across sources, based on data content.
- Works with the business to determine and document the applicable data quality standards that the data used in the solution needs to adhere to.
- Works closely with Data Owners to support data quality improvement exercises.
- Works with other Architects to understand and document interaction between data and applications to determine current and future systems or records and resulting integration requirements.
- Works with Process Architect and Business Analysts to understand the relevant business processes, and document relationship between process and data to ensure we know what roles create, update, consume and delete data throughout its lifecycle, both as-is and to-be.
- Ensures all applicable data policies (segregation of duties, business controls, data access controls, legislation, etc.) are understood and adhered to. Proactively designs to meet these requirements.
- Drives and manages the development (and maintenance) of all solution data architecture metadata using Enterprise Tooling and exposing metadata via Data Catalogues.
- Works across teams to identify existing data designs, patterns, tools, or techniques that may facilitate or expedite delivery.
- Ensures solution data architecture artifacts are created in accordance with data architecture standards.
- Works with Segment Data Architect to align on the bigger picture driving the Segment.
- Collaborates with the Segment Data Architect to leverage and contribute to enterprise artefacts ensuring that the solution data architecture is implemented in alignment with the segment strategy.
What we need from you?
- Mastery of core Data Architecture skills including: Data Analysis, Data Profiling, Data Modelling (ERD, Dimensional), Data Warehouse Design (Kimball, Inmon), Big Data Design (Lambda, Kappa), Data Lifecycle management, Master Data Management & implementation patterns, Data Integration patterns and methods.
- Mastery of technologies involved in data management is required (database management systems, data services, data lakes, etc.).
- Mastery of Enterprise Architecture Frameworks (TOGAF) and application thereof.
- Mastery of Data Architecture and Enterprise Architecture tooling such as PowerDesigner and BiZZdesign.
- Good understanding of and affinity with Integrated Oil & Gas industry is preferred.
- Experience of working with Agile Delivery teams and a knowledge of DevOps constructs.
- Experienced, global, virtual team worker.
- Knowledge of all architecture aspects and keen to stay up to date with key developments in IT.
- Affinity with the other Enterprise Architecture domains (process, application, infrastructure, security and information risk).
- Leadership & negotiating skills: – ability to drive change using influence and networking.
- Ability to build a shared vision and able to communicate well.
- Delivery-oriented with focus on results. Must be a doer with a hands-on attitude.
- Organized and methodical. Ability to initiate, plan and develop according to plan while working with a degree of uncertainty and risk.
- Experience of designing Data and Analytics platforms using Azure PaaS services such as ADLS, ADF, Azure Databricks, Azure Synapse, Azure Analysis Services in a must.
- Experience of working with iPaaS such as MuleSoft and data design principles in API implementation seen as beneficial.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org