This listing is about Shell in London, England, United Kingdom
About the job
, United Kingdom
Job Family Group
Posting Start Date
December 8, 2021
This role is for a senior Deal Structurer within Shell Energy Europe & Environmental Products (SE-EE) with a focus on Continental Power.
Where you fit in
The Deal Structuring team in SE-EE is a commercial function accountable for the valuation and risk assessment of new complex contracts and takes ownership of the valuation and deal management methodology. The team (currently 14 Deal Structurers) operates from the Shell trading hub in London where a majority of the team members are located with some individual ones located in Hague and Singapore.
The main activity of the Deal Structuring team is close collaboration with Originators and Trading desks to develop deal opportunities that add value and to support growth of the portfolio within the Energy product space in Power & Gas in Europe and for Environmental Products across the globe.
The main commercial stakeholders for the Deal Structuring team are the Power and Gas businesses in Europe and the Environmental Product Trading Business (EPTB).
To support the growing of the Power business in Europe the Deal Structuring team looks for a senior individual with relevant power experience for the Shell trading hub in London.
We are therefore looking for a senior individual who combines the quantitative and analytical skill set of a Deal Structurer with a commercial mindset and the ability to manage a complex stakeholder environment. The candidate is expected quickly build a strong relationship with the Power business and increase Deal Structuring activity for the growth of the Power business in Europe.
The Power business in Europe is active in all the major European power markets across the entire power value chain and furthermore provides non-standard structured solutions for customers and counterparties. The role therefore requires specialized knowledge of the European power markets and the corresponding regulatory environment as well as an agile, creative mind and strong work ethic to keep pace with the market developments.
The candidate will have the opportunity to participate in external business meetings with customers and on occasion to travel within Europe and accompany the power originators for external meetings with customers.
What’s The Role
The main responsibility of the role is to collaborate with the power business and support the growth of the power portfolio in Europe, while being accountable for the methodology of the valuation and risk assessment of complex transactions.
The Role Needs To
- Represent the Deal Structuring team and build strong relationships with the local stakeholders in the power business and with internal functional departments (Risk, Finance, Credit)
- Collaborate with power originators and traders to create innovative structured products in response to demand and changing market conditions
- Provide specialized knowledge on structure, valuation and risk assessment for opportunities in the European power market
- Provide an independent view on structured transactions, with constructive challenge of the deal owner as required and suggest alternative solutions or improvements
- Develop and own valuation methods and models for pricing and risk assessment of complex structured contracts. Identify value drivers and risks inherent in the transactions
- (e.g. market risk, performance risk, credit risk, regulatory risk, financing risk).
- As part of the deal team proactively engage with commercial project leaders to (re-)structure non-standard transactions during negotiation phase, be creative to suggest alternative solutions and adaption of contract structures
- Work closely with all relevant internal stakeholders during the approval process
- Collaborate with deal owners to manage and extract value from acquired structured positions
- Maintain close, collaborative relationships with the wider team and other internal partners in the value chain (e.g. New Energies)
- Maintain an outward mindset and ongoing commitment of Deal Structuring to the One-team approach
This role is a challenging position with excellent development opportunities across T&S and the wider Shell group. We require a creative individual with excellent analytical/numerical and interpersonal skills. Working under tight deadlines and conflicting pressures, the candidate will prove able to continue delivering to an excellent standard, with clear focus on the bottom line and priorities in hand. The successful candidate will show the will and the ability to contribute to this objective and to constantly improve personal and team performance.
We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork and generating creative solutions to problems.
What We Need From You
We’re keen to hear from professionals who have a postgraduate or professional qualification in numerical subject (MSc, CFA, CQF, ACA or similar) and proven track record and achievement on European power markets. Beyond that, we’d hope to see as many of the following as possible on your C V:
- Experience in financial modelling or risk management in a commodity trading environment
- Good interpersonal skills, both with team colleagues and stakeholders, with a proven track record as a senior team member
- Experience in coaching and mentoring more junior team members
- Proven ability to work within a complex team, excellent communication, relationship building and presentation skills
- Fluency in the English language, with Dutch / German speaker preferred
- Programming skills e.g. VBA or Python
- Experience in working across multiple locations
- Experience with financial terms and metrics (e.g. collateral and accounting treatment)
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org