This listing is about Siemens in Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Closing date: 19th Feb 2022
Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are a great option for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll be able to learn new skills whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens. Not quite sure who Siemens are and what we do? Click here to find out more.
Siemens has expertise in many areas of technology, one of them being Railway Signalling Control systems and equipment, helping people get from A to B every single day, safely. How will cities solve the problems of increasing traffic? How can railway operators improve the punctuality, and security of their systems? How can we ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum? As part of our Mobility division, you can help to provide solutions to these questions and much more, working on real projects which have a real impact on the real world.
Siemens Mobility Ltd help to solve the problems of increasing traffic by working with railway operators to improve the capacity, punctuality and security of their systems. We also ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum. Within our Mobility division, you will be part of a team helping to design solutions and systems which have a real impact on the real world. Click here to learn more about our business unit.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a 4-year apprenticeship where you will be signed up to the Digital and Technology Solutions Professional Standard with the Open University whilst taking part in signalling project delivery activities in the workplace. As an apprentice in Siemens Rail Infrastructure (a part of Siemens Mobility), you will be working with one of the signalling delivery teams based at one of our locations in the UK. You will help to provide and support signalling solutions to the world’s rail networks with the market leader in train control in the UK and globally.
Here is a taste of what you can expect from this apprenticeship:
- Learn to capture detailed requirements, design, implement, test, install and maintain signalling control systems
- Learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases.
- Delve into the world of Networking. IP technology is becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s railway, with more and more projects moving towards this technology. You will be exposed to Network Design, as well as getting hands on with configuring and testing networks in our lab area.
- Work on real projects which may include re-signalling parts of the UK rail network, developing the latest signalling control system technology, implementing traffic management systems and producing accurate simulations of the operations of rail infrastructure.
- Develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes associated with the transport and process industries.
- Be a valued member within a team of Entry Level Talent (Apprentices/Interns/Graduates) to participate in the Business Improvement Project (BIP) Scheme. The scope of the project is to create and present a solution to management. This project will provide you with valuable team working and presentation skills.
- Be an ambassador for STEM through a multitude of volunteering opportunities, such as Greenpower, Big Bang Fair and much more.
- Participate in the Apprentice ‘Swap Scheme’, an exchange programme allowing apprentices to experience different areas of the business (e.g. Rail Automation to Rail Electrification).
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You will have a minimum of 3 A-levels or equivalent at C or above in STEM related subjects
- Flexible with excellent communication and methodological skills
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions and you have excellent time management and organisation skills
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
The benefits of a degree apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college and get your degree debt-free whilst earning a salary of £20,000 per annum at the same time as well as an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled engineers who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the forefront of innovation by joining Europe’s leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
Still debating between going to university and getting a degree apprenticeship? Click here to listen to one of our recruiters and her mum talk about the differences between the two routes.
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of signalling. Think this is you? Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org