This listing is about Siemens in Chippenham, England, United Kingdom
About the job
Believe theres more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to university for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll gain a degree whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens.
Here at Siemens we build a better world using digital skills to create greener energy, ground breaking software and ingenious inventions.
Siemens has expertise in many areas of technology, one of them being Railway Signalling and equipment, helping people get from A to B every single day, safely.
Siemens Mobility Ltd help to solve the problems of increasing traffic by working with railway operators to improve the capacity, punctuality and security of their systems. We also ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum. Within our Mobility division, you will be part of a team helping to design solutions and systems which have a real impact on the real world.
We are recruiting candidates to join our rail apprenticeship scheme who want to make a difference and develop their skills in Rail systems.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a 4-year apprenticeship where you will be completing the Rail and Rail Systems Senior Engineer Apprenticeship (Signalling and Control) Standard with the London South Bank University. Alongside this, you’ll also be taking part in signalling project delivery activities in the workplace. As an apprentice in Siemens Rail Infrastructure (a part of Siemens Mobility), you will be working with one of the signalling delivery teams based at our site in Chippenham. You will help to provide and support signalling solutions to the world’s rail networks with the market leader in train control in the UK and globally.
Here is how the programme works:
- When you join the business, you will be allocated to a Signalling delivery team where you will work under mentorship on our current projects on a rotation basis
- At the same time you will be signed up to the academic element of your apprenticeship with the LSBU. To support you, 20% of your standard weekly working hours will be spent studying for your degree. (20% off the job study time throughout your apprenticeship is still paid for)
- By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have gained the knowledge and skills to become a Signalling delivery specialist as well as a degree as a Digital and Technology Solutions Professional
- We will also expect you to finish the elements of the structured learning plan, attendance to all performance evaluations, rotations across the business as well as developing your professional competence throughout.
Here is what you can make a difference in:
- Learn to collect detailed requirements, design, implement and test signalling control systems
- Learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases.
- Delve into the world of Networking. IP technology is becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s railway, with more and more projects moving towards this technology. You will be exposed to Network Design, as well as getting hands on with configuring and testing networks in our lab area.
- Develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes associated with the transport and process industries.
- Be a valued member within a team of Entry Level Talent (Apprentices/Interns/Graduates) to participate in the Business Improvement Project (BIP) Scheme. The scope of the project is to create and present a solution to management. This project will provide you with valuable team working and presentation skills.
- Be an ambassador for STEM through a multitude of volunteering opportunities, such as Greenpower, Big Bang Fair and much more.
- Participate in the Apprentice ‘Swap Scheme’, an exchange programme allowing apprentices to experience different areas of the business (e.g. Rail Automation to Rail Electrification).
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however its also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
You will have achieved or be on track to achieve at 3 A Levels (or BTEC equivalent) at grade C or above in maths and other STEM related subjects.
The benefits of a Rail apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college/school whilst earning a salary of £20,000 at the same time as well as an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe’s leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of signalling. Think this is you? Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Chippenham, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org