This job listing is about UNICEF in Khartoum, Sudan 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, HOPE
Sudan, surrounded by the Central African Republic, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya and South Sudan, positioned next to East, West, South and North Africa, is surrounded by complex conflicts in an unpredictable, volatile and rapidly evolving region. Sudan is by size the third biggest country in Africa, with a diverse population of around 42 million people. Sudan’s children make up half of the total population, and the past two decades have seen their lives significantly improve: fewer girls and boys are dying before their fifth birthday, primary school attendance is increasing, immunization coverage is high and the country remains polio free. Still, millions of children continue to suffer from protracted conflict in Darfur, the Kordofans, and Blue Nile, from seasonal natural disasters, malnutrition and disease outbreaks, and from under-investment in basic social services. More than three million of Sudan’s school aged children are not in the classroom. UNICEF has been in Sudan since 1952 and continues with a presence in 12 of Sudan’s 18 states.
How can you make a difference?
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and partners to implement the WASH portfolio (60% time spent on water supply and 40% on sanitation)
- Undertake rigorous monitoring and feedback on of WASH interventions including water supply, sanitation, hygiene and WASH in schools and health centres
- Support the Field Office in the identification of human-interest stories or voices from the field demonstrating the impact on the vulnerable population. Also identify and draft case studies documenting success/ failure of WASH interventions, as part of learning for the WASH sector
- Ensure effective and robust planning for UNICEF supported WASH programs including, facilitate AWP/RWP planning sessions with close coordination of ministries, implementing partners (IPs) and other stakeholders.
- Support Ministry and other IPs conducting mid-year and end-year work plan review meetings, ensure timely preparation & submission of Program Documents with close coordination and support to the IPs.
- Support long term plans such as WASH strategic plans, ODF roadmap and SDG6 plans in the state.
- Contribute to the office and section wide program priorities and office management priorities.
- Oversee monitoring of WASH supplies including though regular visits to warehouses, identification of expiring items and likely gaps as well as through the production of a monthly stock report.
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Provide technical guidance to the Ministry/IPs on conducting needs assessments/service mapping studies, etc.
- Provide technical support and facilitation of technical trainings, geophysical surveys, CLTS, community mobilization.
- Support the WASH Section in conducting assessments/surveys including participation in joint missions, assessments, and will provides reports to Sector.
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Facilitate preparationeview of 2021 EPRP, EPP and contingency plans in close coordination with the sector, program section and UNICEF emergency office.
- Facilitate and lead regular sector coordination (cluster) meetings and share minutes
- Participate in UNICEF and UN, NGOs and government joint assessments to assess the situation of the emergency affected population and propose actionable plans to be implemented.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities assigned as appropriate to the purpose of this post, and delivers the results as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Heatlh, Civil Engineering, Geology, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- *Advanced degree in one of the mentioned disciplines is an asset.
- Minimum one year of professional management and implementation experience in the field of WASH is required.
- Experience in working in the field of WASH in Darfur context is an asset.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in low-cost water, sanitation, hygiene promotion, and capacity building.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency preparedness and response (and the IASC Cluster approach).
Fluency in writing, reading, and speaking English and Arabic.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF Competencies Required For This Post Are…
- Builds and maintains partnerships (2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (3) Drive to achieve results for impact (4) Innovates and embraces change (5) Manages ambiguity and complexity (6) Thinks and acts strategically (7) Works collaboratively with others.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Khartoum, Sudan
Application Deadline: N/A