Senior Technical Advisor, WCS Laos in Wildlife Conservation Society Chanthabuly, Vientiane Capital, Laos
Website Wildlife Conservation Society
This job listing is about Wildlife Conservation Society in Chanthabuly, Vientiane Capital, Laos 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
Position: Senior Technical Advisor, WCS Laos
Reports to: WCS Lao PDR Country Director and Deputy Director
Location: Vientiane Capital City, Lao PDR.
Country Program/Sector: Lao PDR
Position Type: Full-time
Internal Liaison: WCS Lao PDR Conservation Science Director, Landscape Managers and TAs
Expected Travel: Approximately 25% within Lao PDR. International travel might be required, but at minimal, as per business needs.
Lao Program Overview
WCS began working in Lao PDR in the 1980s, surveying wildlife and habitats around the country to assist the government in creating Lao PDR’s national protected area system. In the early 1990s, WCS documented wildlife and habitats in many of the newly created national protected areas and began supporting the government to train protected area managers, as well as raise awareness about illegal wildlife trade. In 1994, WCS officially established a country office in Lao PDR. Over almost three decades, WCS Lao PDR has successfully implemented more than 30 projects with the Government of Lao PDR, supported by more than 30 donors, and has increasingly moved away from a project approach into a more integrated, programmatic, strategic, and holistic approach to conservation.
Our vision for the Lao PDR Program is that the unique ecosystems of Lao PDR thrive indefinitely and are valued by the people of Lao PDR, and the world, for their biodiversity, natural beauty, and the services they provide to humanity. A core strategy to fulfil that vision is to improve protection and management of wildlife and wild places by building the capacity and meaningful participation of government and local stakeholders, raising public awareness through conservation outreach and education, providing alternative livelihoods—including nature-based tourism—to guardian villages, influencing institutional, policy, legal and regulatory reforms relevant to protected areas and wildlife, developing the national wildlife health surveillance network, and combatting illegal wildlife trade.
The current portfolio consists of (i) four conservation landscapes: Nam Et-Phou Louey National Park (NEPL NP), Bolikhamxai Landscape, Koun Xe – Nong Ma National Protected Area and Xe Champhone Wetlands; (ii) two cross-cutting programs on Counter Wildlife Trafficking and Wildlife Health; and (iii) a thematic focus on conservation policy and research.
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide strategic, programmatic and technical oversight to the WCS Lao PDR Program in the development, implementation and management of landscape level proposals and activities aligned with the MOUs. He/she will work as a team with the WCS Country Director and Deputy Director in overall strategic development, program planning, reporting and budgeting processes for the WCS Lao PDR Program. He/she will be responsible for guiding technical orientation primarily across landscapes, and cross-cutting themes; supervising junior international TAs and providing specific input for key programmatic decisions.
- Programmatic Strategy, Planning and Development (Level of Effort 40%)
- In coordination with the Country Director and Deputy Director, further develop the conservation vision and strategic plan for WCS’ work in Lao PDR that identifies goals, objectives and programs of work for research, conservation and community resource management. Review and refine program priorities, strategy and approaches, and overall monitoring and evaluation system.
- Help to identify conservation priorities and technical needs within the WCS Lao PDR Program; assist in building new partnerships with donors, NGOs and the private sector.
- In collaboration with the Country Director and Deputy Director, represent WCS’ conservation work in Lao PDR to technical and financial partners, and other NGOs; present program information at national and international meetings. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with these partners.
- In coordination with WCS staff in Lao PDR, regionally and New York, identify new funding opportunities to support priority conservation initiatives in Lao PDR.
- Lead grant development, engaging the donor community, and liaising with other organizations in a timely fashion.
- Provide technical support and capacity building to WCS Lao PDR staff in grant proposal development and budget preparation.
- Programmatic Management and Reporting (Level of Effort 50%)
- Advise the Country Director and Deputy Director in determining personnel and technical needs to ensure implementation of an efficient, effective, and technically capable WCS Lao PDR program.
- Provide direct supervision to junior international TAs to reinforce their technical planning, management, and implementation capacity.
- Provide specific technical oversight to the establishment of the WCS Laos Technical Working Groups to ensure collaboration and consistency of technical aspects across landscape programs
- Identify long-term and short-term specialists where required and ensure their supervision, and collaboration with, relevant landscape teams.
- Provide ongoing support for grant implementation, including quality control and backstopping to ensure donor expectations are met and policies followed.
- Oversee preparation of annual work plans and periodic reports as required by WCS and donor partners.
- Ensure reports are timely and in compliance with WCS and donor reporting policies and requirements including appropriate content and clarity of all reports.
- Supervise the oversight of any relevant subcontractors or grantees performance, including authorization of payments.
- With the Country Director and Deputy Director coordinate and facilitate capacity building and professional development in grant management and reporting for WCS Lao PDR staff.
- Technical Oversight and Dissemination (Level of Effort 10%)
- In collaboration with the WCS Lao PDR Science Director promote and provide appropriate technical support to research and conservation initiatives. Ensure appropriate and efficient collection, analysis, dissemination and publication of field data.
- In coordination with the Country Director, Deputy Director and Conservation Science Director, publicize WCS Lao PDR Program achievements through popular and scientific media, and publish project results in scientific journals.
- Carry out other technical duties, as required by the Country Director and Deputy Director to ensure effective operation of the WCS Lao PDR Program.
- Post-graduate degree or equivalent experience in conservation, natural resource management or related field.
- Minimum of ten years professional experience relevant to on-the-ground conservation in tropical developing countries preferably in South-east Asia
- Sound knowledge of conservation issues related to Lao PDR and the region, with an understanding of the WCS approach to protected area management.
- Experience in building partnerships with civil society, private sector, donor agencies and international institutions.
- Proven grant management skills with successful experience in supporting fund raising and grant reporting.
- Ability to work sensitively and effectively with people of diverse cultures, value systems, perspectives and levels of education, and to manage staff in these contexts.
- Capacity-building experience in one or more of the fields of community-based natural resource management, field research, conservation biology and project management.
- Good interpersonal, communication, management and leadership skills.
- Fluency in English language required, with Lao Language skills considered an advantage.
- A willingness to travel both regionally, and nationally.
- Patience and flexibility a must.
Pre-screening will start as soon as WCS starts to receive incoming application.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Company: Wildlife Conservation Society
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chanthabuly, Vientiane Capital, Laos
Application Deadline: N/A