Environmental Management and Climate Action- Technical Specialist in World Vision Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal
Website World Vision
This job listing is about World Vision in Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal 2022 exclusively on jobizille.com
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
Location: Dakar – Senegal, other remote locations possible
Purpose Of The Position
The purpose of the Environmental Management and Climate Action (EMCA) technical specialist position is to provide leadership and technical guidance to World Vision West Africa region sectoral programming in Environment and Climate Change and their impact on girls and boys around the region. The focus of the position is to advance the World Vision West Africa region’s programming in Environment and Climate Change by growing the EMCA portfolio through new business development including grants, contracts, and strategic partnerships. Oversees World Vision’s sector programming to ensure that it reflects the organizational distinctive of Christ-centered, community-empowering, and child-focused in its standards and practices and the highest technical standards are met in its programming. Builds WV’s reputation in the sector, creates partnerships and innovative approaches, and strengthens and mobilizes WV’s sector community of practice to execute excellence in programming that demonstrates evidence of impact. Positions and brands WV as a leading child-focused organization and represents WV at high-level regional platforms and other external engagement forums.
- Set Strategic Priorities : 25%
- Define WV West Africa Region Environmental Management and Climate Action sector vision, regional sectoral approach, and targets in alignment with the Partnership strategy.
- Provides thought leadership in their respective area of expertise both within and outside World Vision
- Develops WV brand and reputation through quality programming, evidence of impact, policy and advocacy-related work
- Contribute in the development of sectoral policy and guidance in alignment with Partnership strategy.
- Ensures alignment of sector approaches and core project models to Partnership strategy.
- Ensures integration of WV’s distinctive, biases and ethos in all sector guidance and practice
- Ensure the regional sectoral approach is aligned at all levels; from supporting sector fundraising & marketing through sector programming and integrated with other sectors and lines of ministry.
- Ensures overall compliance with Partnership standards and external standards
- Lead innovations and research initiatives in sector programming
- Capacity Building : 10%
- Contributes to building the capability of WV’s sector professionals in the region and global community of practice.
- Promotes a culture of innovation and continuous improvement within the region and beyond
- Internally benchmark capabilities, processes, and systems in Environmental Management and Climate Action programming against market leaders and build toward best in class.
- Determines the technical capacity needs for the region and support the partnership as necessary.
- Ensure Program Quality and Impact : 25%
- Maintains a regional and global view of the sector across the region in collaboration with the partnership global sector lead.
- Determines the technical capacity needs for the region.
- Ensures accountability in the provision of technical services and programme implementation for regional and globally agreed standards, sector approaches and core project models
- Build an understanding of the current sectoral footprint and identify opportunities for further impact.
- Maintain a view of revenue streams to support programme opportunities.
- Measure the extent to which resourcing opportunities meet ministry needs and impact CWB.
- Ensure accountability by using Evidence and Learning, analysis, and interpretation of data to provide regional evidence of impact for the sector.
- Coordinates with other regional Sector leads in ensuring regional and global approaches (including core project models) are integrated and have a ministry focus that is Christian, community-based and child-focused.
- Coordinates closely with Support Offices (and GC where appropriate) sector team engagement and partners.
- External Engagement : 10%
- Represents and builds World Vision’s influence, advocacy, partnerships and reputation externally.
- Collaborates with Faith and Development actors externally as we seek to integrate faith into all our programming to address spiritual of causes of child well-being
- Participates in high-level regional and international meetings, forums, and conferences as required.
- Actively positions WV as an NGO of choice with global 2030 Agenda platforms, and with potential and key partners, donors and stakeholders, businesses and donors
- Provides technical support to regional and Global Campaigns
- Development Programming Approach (DPA) : 5%
- Help NOs effectively work with partners through the promotion of Local Partnering principles and practices at both leadership and frontline staff levels
- Ensure NOs understand the Most Vulnerable Children (MVC) framework, integrate MVC needs into programming, and report effectively the impact on MVC
- Assist NOs in the contextualization of DPA
- Resources Mobilization and Networking : 20%
- Contribute high-quality inputs into national office grant proposals and concepts, support review of program design ensuring quality results frameworks and log-frames.
- For regional funding opportunities support project design and document review where possible.
- Support prepositioning and donor engagement as regional Health & Nutrition lead and where necessary participate in regional networks raising the profile of World Vision.
- Build knowledge of donor expectations and guidelines around Health & Nutrition in collaboration with WARO RAM.
- Establish networks and alliances with external partners (research institutions, universities, other NGOs, etc) for the purpose of enhancing program quality.
- General Responsibilities : 5%
- Contribute and support Christian activities that enrich and develop mutual growth in Christ in a way that promotes holistic and integrated witness in our life and work and impacts the poor and vulnerable.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Regional leadership.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job training:
- A Master’s degree in Environmental Management, Climate Change, Agriculture, Food Security, Agriculture Economics or Agri-business, Natural Resource Management, Resource economics or other related disciplines with over seven years of relevant experience in a developing country environment.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience developing, leading, and managing complex, large-scale Environment and Climate Change initiatives.
- Experience in Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation programming, Environmental Assessments, as well as integration of Climate change across sectors in the international development context both in emergencies as well as development contexts is key to this position.
- Demonstrated experience in Environment and Climate Change program documentation, program monitoring, donor report writing, networking, and partner development for resource acquisition.
- Experience in policy influence and Environment and Climate Change policy development.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize stakeholders into partnerships and alliances, lead and facilitate collaborative processes.
- Demonstrated experience working in cross-functional and remote teams for the purpose of program implementation, development of technical standards, and resource acquisition.
- Excellent facilitation skills, strong interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, strong negotiation, diplomacy, strong leadership and team work skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in both English and French are highly desirable for this position.
- Also required are analytical skills for synthesis of materials, evaluations, and preparation of presentations/articles for publication as well as experience in a PC environment and the MS Office suite of software.
- Experience in working with faith organizations, faith actors and faith-related issues in development
- Experience of HEA and fragile contexts.
- Recent and extensive experience living and working in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in French and English. Additional languages representative of the countries WV serves in an advantage.
- Fluent in both French and English
- Master’s degree in Environmental Management, Climate Change, Agriculture, Food Security, Agriculture Economics or Agri-business, Natural Resource Management, or Resource economics, with a strong preference for relevant doctoral-level degree.
- Proven experience developing Climate Change Adaptation products and growing Environmental Management and Climate Action programs in a variety of contexts.
- Experience working with and managing large grants in sector programming for major bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Experience growing a diverse global portfolio through new business development, strategic positioning, grants, contracts and partnerships.
- Previous experience working in a Country Office/National Office or Regional Office setting will be advantageous.
- Experience working in fragile, conflict, post-conflict and/or difficult operating environments is preferred.
- West Africa experience preferred. Female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Strong preference for multi-lingual candidates, language skills representative of the countries WV serves is an advantage. Strong preference for French-speaking candidates (bilingual and or multi-lingual candidates will be advantageous).
Working Environment / Conditions
- The position requires the ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
- This role involves being part of a virtual, geographically dispersed team (Remote working is highly encouraged).
Applicant Types Accepted
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted
Company: World Vision
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal
Application Deadline: N/A